Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Isaac 9 Months

Our little man is now 9 months. And I do mean little.
 At his 9 month check-up, he was 14 pounds 11.5 ounces (< 3%), 26.3 inches tall (< 3%) and 44.0 cm head circumference (16%). Mara's stats at this same age were a little different, and keep in mind the boys and girls go off of different charts. She was  15 pounds 8 ounces (10%), 26 inches (4%) and 44.5 cm head (68%). The doctor and I had to have a conversation about Isaac's eating habits, our feeding routines, and his health in general. The boy needed more calories, despite our best efforts to feed him. 
He wakes up on average 3x a night, but sometimes it's as many as 5. We put him to bed between 7 and 8, and he starts waking up around 11, then around 1, again around 3 and then we wake him up at 6:30. How we have functioned like this for 9 months... not entirely certain. A lot of caffeine. Anyway, he should have been sleeping through the night after 3 months old and certainly by 6 months (what a lovely concept!). We came up with a new plan to get him more calories, clear up an ear infection, and put him on the right track. I emptied Target of baby food with protein (think chicken and apples, beef and vegetables, etc) and we now tote a cooler into daycare to carry all his food and bottles. (No joke). I don't want to count my chickens... but the last two nights he has only woken once around 1:00. ONE TIME! If I didn't have a 103+ fever, I would be doing a happy dance. We have to go back to the doctor next week to check on progress. With as much food as we stuffed into him this past weekend (basically on the hour!) and as much as he's reportedly eating at daycare, we have high hopes that he'll be back on the chart. My poor poor baby.
He really likes pureed bananas and pears, and we can get him to eat the chicken and apples pretty well. He's got 4 teeth (two on top, two on bottom) and Zack tells me he said "bah bah" and tried to wave this week at daycare. (I've been holed up at home since Sunday with this fever). He isn't crawling yet, but he can roll and scooch all over. Since he started antibiotics for his ear infection, we have seen such an improvement with his appetite, attitude, and general playfulness. He is a happy little baby again and not a grouch who just sits there and cries. He is interested in toys and his sister and trying to get in his workouts.
We took away the slinky, thinking it could cut his little mouth and he grabbed these monkeys instead...
Which he stabbed his gums with...

Poor kid. Bob the Builder balloon (which is also 9 months old now) helped a little.
Isaac's smile brightens my day. He usually aims it at his sister... but whatever.
I usually get THIS face.
Translation: why are you just standing there, woman? Pull out those hidden milk jugs you carry around just for me. FEED ME.
We definitely have a little comedian.
I can't seem to find Mara's 9 month photos... they must be misfiled so you'll have to visit the blog archives for a comparison... SORRY.
We got to see Super Gammy and Uncle Carl this past Saturday. Isaac had just fallen asleep for literally 5 minutes before our visitors arrived, so that's this look on his face.
 I have not been good about taking pictures recently. And getting some of Mara is extra tricky. All I have are these from a moment of father/daughter weakness.
 Yes, that's them eating cake right out of the oven at like 8:30 at night. Weaklings.
I will try to get some better photos of her. She is such a joy (usually!) and I have missed hugging and kissing her this week. I am trying to contain my germs and have just watched the kids from a distance (except for nursing Isaac).

I usually tell Mara that I love her with my whole heart.
She surprised me the other day by telling me,
"Mommy? I love you with my whole life."

2 comments:

Kelly said...

"Mommy? I love you with my whole life."

OMG! This literally brought tears to my eyes!!!!!!

Carole said...

Me too!!!!